West Michigan Convention Ventures LLC is currently looking for a few people to help us with the organization and operation of our annual event, the Grand Rapids Comic-Con, in a staff position capacity. These positions do their work primarily the weekend of event although some will have prep work ahead of event. This is a unique opportunity to be involved with one of the largest events in West Michigan, and unlike a lot of conventions it pays too!
Basic desirable traits for each applicant will include the following although we will consider people that may not meet all these requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old: More of a legal thing than anything else.
- College degree preferred: Type of degree does not matter, but event management, hospitality, travel and tourism management, or any form of business management is desirable.
- Have experience in event management: Our staff has worked in management and operation of all kinds of events, including Festival of the Arts, Juice Ball, Youmacon, Motor City Comic Con, renaissance festivals, many theatrical plays and musicals, West Michigan Women’s Expo, and numerous other conventions and trade shows, as well as regular concert locations such as The Intersection, The Ice Pick, and the Common Ground Music Festival. Experience in event operations or past internships in event management is very desirable on any level.
To apply for each position listed below please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A resume or Curriculum Vitae in a Word doc or .pdf format.
- A list of references in a Word doc or .pdf format
- A list of events one has worked with along with references associated with event in a Word doc or .pdf format
- Willingness to sign a contract and a non-disclosure agreement with West Michigan Convention Ventures LLC if contracted
- Willingness to go through a drug screen, criminal background check, and general background check if requested
Person applying must have own cell phone, transportation, and internet access. No mailed resumes will be accepted. Must be able to verify that you are legally able to work within the United States. We are an equal opportunity employer, and West Michigan Convention Ventures LLC does not discriminate against any employee or contracted service on the basis of race, creed, age, handicap, sex, religious affiliation, national origin, or sexual orientation.
In addition to attending the actual event at a schedule to be determined, all interns would also have to attend a final planning meeting just before each event, and other meeting(s) as planned by their direct supervisor.
If you are interviewed, the first interview will be with Event Director Mark Hodges and the second will be with the coordinator in which you will work directly under if contracted. First interviews will be held in Hopkins, while the second will be held in a location of the coordinator’s choosing.
We will also provide parking passes for the weekend of the event and a food and gas stipend of some sort which is yet to be determined. Hotel accommodations will be provided based on need.
Convention/Ebay Store Help
- Processing inventory for sale, including cleaning, bagging/boarding, and processing
- Pricing each item based on the value of the item
- Listing the item on ebay in a timely, thorough, and professional manner
- Shipping each item as they sell according to our standards
- Proper storage and warehousing of all processed items
- Build show inventory back to par stock for road trips
- Restock and order supplies
- Keeping track of inventory in warehouse
- Cleaning as needed
- Set up and tear down the booth for the show
- Sell product and handle money
- Distribute promotional materials such as vendor kits and postcards
- Represent the company in a professional manner
- Must be 18 or over
- Have the ability to lift 50 lbs
- Have the ability to travel a fair amount of weekends at the expense of the company, sometimes alone
- A clean driving record
- Must submit to a background check and drug test
- Must be willing to report to Hopkins, Michigan on a regular basis
- Must be willing to work in a home-based environment that includes a handicapped adult (no care for him will be required of you) and cats.