The Grand Rapids Comic-Con Film Festival
The Grand Rapids Comic-Con is pleased to be hosting a showcase of student and independent film shorts at the event on Saturday, November 12. This festival will be part of the show and no additional tickets or expenses will be expected of fans to attend the event.
Now Accepting Submissions For Our November Film Festival!
Saturday, November 12
11:30 am to 5:00 pm
Grand Gallery E-F
The Grand Rapids Comic-Con Film Festival exists to support independent filmmakers, particularly those who have made short films for audiences who love science fiction, fantasy, action, comedy, animation, superheroes, and other nerd-oriented genres.
The Film Festival is one of many events at the Grand Rapids Comic-Con, which takes place annually in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Con is a family-friendly event, which emphasizes the culture of nerds, geeks, and comic book enthusiasts. Our film festival is open to all independent filmmakers, but we give preference to films that play to our specific audience.
You May Submit Your Film By Clicking The FilmFreeway Logo Below
Awards and Prizes
Each award-winning film will receive a plaque and a monetary prize.
Best Live Action Short: $300 (US)
Best Animated Short: $300 (US)
Best Grindhouse Short: $300 (US)
Audience Choice Award: $100 (US)
Rules and Terms
1. The eighth annual Grand Rapids Comic-Con takes place November 12-14, 2021. The Film Festivals will take place on Friday & Saturday, November 12 & 13, 2021. Filmmakers whose films are accepted into the festivals will receive two complementary passes for the day of the festival screening.
2. Online screeners are required for qualification. Films that are selected for screening will need to submit a high definition digital exhibition copy in either MP4 or MOV format.
3. In the Live Action and Animation categories, content must be appropriate for a family audience. We will accept submissions meriting the equivalent of a G, PG, or PG-13 rating. Films with excessive or strong profanity (including any use of the f-word), graphic violence, or graphic sexual content will not be considered for these categories. Films that contain more adult content meriting the equivalent of an R rating may be submitted to our Grindhouse category.
4. Submitted films may be in any genre, but preference will be given to films that appeal to the comic con audience, such as science fiction, fantasy, action, comedy, and animation.
5. For the Live Action and Animation categories, films must not exceed 25 minutes in length, including all titles and credits. For the Grindhouse category, films must not exceed 30 minutes.
6. Films’ dialogue must be in English or must contain English subtitles.
7. Films finished before January 2017 are not eligible.
8. Judges may reassign categories based on content at their discretion. Submitters are encouraged email the festival with any questions regarding categories and/or content.
9. All selection and prize decisions are final.
10. Regarding COVID-19: Should the Festivals be delayed or postponed due to the pandemic, your entry will be carried over for consideration during the next available show.
Terms & Conditions:
By submitting your film to the Grand Rapids Comic-Con Film Festival:
1. The submitter attests that all information all information submitted is true and accurate to the best of the submitter’s knowledge.
2. The submitter licenses the submitted film for public exhibition at the Grand Rapids Comic-Con and in related promotional materials.
3. The film submitted adheres to the general rules of the Grand Rapids Comic-Con Film Festival, which is a family-oriented event.
May 1, 2022: Opening Date
June 19, 2022: Earlybird Deadline
July 17, 2022: Regular Deadline
August 21, 2022: Late Deadline
September 18, 2022: Extended Deadline
October 16, 2022: Notification Date
November 11 – 13, 2022: Event Date