The Grand Rapids Comic-Con, a family-friendly comic book and popular arts convention that will be held on October 12 at the HSB Building in Wyoming, will be hosting an annual comic book art contest for students in the area. Each participating school will be able to enter one student’s work per category (grades 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, and 9-12).
Five finalists per category will be selected by a committee of local artists. The finalists will be judged by several national comic book artists who will be attending the Grand Rapids Comic-Con. The finalists for each category will receive four tickets to the Grand Rapids Comic-Con on October 12 as well as a trophy and a lanyard for their achievement and having their work displayed in a world-class art show that will be hosted at the Grand Rapids Comic-Con including original work from famous comic artists such as Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Joe Quesada, and Greg Horn. The winners in each category will also receive a larger trophy and a $100 check.
Rules for children’s art contest
- Students may enter at their school if they participate.
- Each student is allowed one entry.
- Each entry must be an original piece from the student themselves, no help from teachers, parents, relatives, etc.
- Student is to provide their artwork on paper no larger than 8.5×11 inches. Format of art can be any style the student desires including crayon, chalk, pen/ink, watercolor, etc.
- Artwork must center on some type of superhero character. The superhero character can either be an existing character or a character created by the student.
- Student entries will be divided into four categories: 2-3 grade, 4-5 grade, 6-8 grade, and 9-12 grade.
- Each participating school will set up their own way of collecting entries for the contest.
- Deadline for students to submit their submissions to their school will be September 21, 2013.
- School will select one entry to represent their school per category and will mail their original submission(s) to the following: Attn: art contest, West Michigan Convention Ventures, 4787 Brookside Dr. SW, Grandville, MI 49418. Entry must include some form of contact information for the student with communication through the school being preferred. Entries must be postmarked by September 28.
- West Michigan Convention Ventures will take the entries and narrow the field down to a final five entries per grade category. Finalists will be notified by October 4.
- Each finalist will receive the following: up to four free tickets for the Grand Rapids Comic-Con on October 12 for the student and their immediate family (parents, guardian, siblings); a badge worn around the neck that recognizes their achievement; their artwork framed and displayed at an art show at the Grand Rapids Comic-Con that will also display original artwork from numerous national comic book artists; and recognition at a ceremony announcing the winners of the children’s art contest.
- The children’s art contest finalists will be judged by a committee of national comic book artists attending the show. They will pick one winner from each category. If there is a tie, it will be broken by Mark and Jennifer Hodges, the co-event coordinators of the Grand Rapids Comic-Con.
- The winner in each category will receive a check for $100 (one hundred dollars) and a trophy at the awards ceremony on October 12. The rest will receive a similar trophy or award to be determined.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Students who attend a school not participating in the children’s art contest or are home schooled may enter the contest by sending their unfolded entry to the following address: attn: art contest, West Michigan Convention Ventures, 4787 Brookside Dr. SW, Grandville, MI 49418. Entry must include the original artwork (no copies), the student’s name, grade, and an email address of the parents so we may communicate about the entry.
- Finalists may pick up their original, framed artwork after 5 pm at the show on October 12. If that is not possible arrangement for pick-up can be made.
- The Home School Building or HSB Inc. is not hosting, organizing, or judging this contest in any way and is to be held harmless for any problems or legal issues associated with the children’s art contest.
- This children’s art contest is being sponsored by West Michigan Convention Ventures LLC, 4787 Brookside Dr SW, Grandville, MI49418. Email contact is email@example.com and the phone number is 616-281-5930. Contact name is Mark Hodges.